The Bathing Places at La Vallette were constructed in the 19th century. The first pool to be built was the Horseshoe, completed in 1859-60. In 1862, a plan was put forward to build a Ladies Private Bathing Pool. It was built by public subscription, the St. Peter Port Douzaine and the States of Guernsey. It was extended to its present length in 1947. In 1876 female bathers demanded a second pool, that was to be a Public Ladies Pool, and this was built 10 years later.